Monday, July 20, 2009

At least it was a thrill


My attitude towards Frightened Rabbit has always been something along the lines of "oh, well, I'll just catch them the next time they come to town, cause they play here a lot," but dammit, I wish I had caught them before. Large, building, anthemic indie rock that actually plays really well at 1:30 in the afternoon.



This is the third time I've seen Blitzen Trapper in the past two years, and each time has been pretty great. This wasn't really anything like the first time I saw them at Schubas back in April 2008 [when Fleet Foxes opened], in the sense that that was in a tiny club and this was a big festival, but that doesn't mean they didn't still bring it. "Wild Mountain Nation" is still one of my favorite songs.



The Thermals are another one of those bands about whom I've said "oh, well, I'll just catch them the next time they come to town," except this one's been going on for two and a half years. I loved The Body, The Blood, The Machine, and I also love the new album, Now We Can See [another belated addition to the midyear faves list; I got it the week it came out but it took a while to listen to it]. It was a great set, lots of energy, and some choice covers including "Basket Case" by Green Day. [in the video you can see the Flaming Lips' set in the background, omg]





Closed out this part of the day with Vivian Girls. They brought it, too. but at that point I think we were way more excited about the impending Lips set than anything. It was a great set, and they sounded really good, but our minds were...somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment