Saturday, December 26, 2009

Reflecting off of your CD

[Part of the Concerts of the Year recap on RooYCD]

Jeff Tweedy
The Vic
February 14, 2009

Wilco
UIC Pavilion
October 18-19, 2009

This basically comes down to these things:

- The entire setlist on February 14 (but especially Someday Soon)
- Misunderstood on October 18 [gets me every time]
- Via Chicago [gets me every time] to open, and then Poor Places into Spiders (Kidsmoke) on October 19

I mean, everything second of these shows rocked, but these made it all worth the price of admission. Also, generally speaking, seeing your favorite band in concert seldom disappoints.



[the alternate line of Heavy Metal Drummer that they do live is awesome]

I put these shows together and maybe I shouldn't have. Sure, they pull from the same pool of songs and in each case they/he did about 30 of them. Also, in each case, Tweedy talked a lot when he wasn't singing.

However, in presentation they're very different. By nature, the solo show is very sparse and the set-list is a combination of fan favorites and rarities (and requests). The full band show is huge, meant to fill a larger space, and the set-list is more driven by songs that people know, and songs to which people can dance or rock out.

But either way, here they are. Different, but in some ways the same. I loved every minute of all of it.

I'm glad I have a Wilco.

No comments:

Post a Comment